Earthquakes | Hurricanes | Other disasters
Prepare a Home Earthquake Plan
- Choose a safe place in every room — under a sturdy table or desk or against an inside wall where nothing can fall on you.
- Practice DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON with your children. Drop under a sturdy desk or table, hold on, and protect your eyes by pressing your face against your arm. If there's no table or desk nearby, sit on the floor against an interior wall away from windows, bookcases, or tall furniture that could fall on you.
- Choose an out-of-town family contact.
- Make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your home.
- Inform babysitters and caregivers of your plan.
Be prepared to be without electricity, gas, water and telephones for up to three days. Have Supplies On-hand Including -
- First aid kit and essential medications.
- Canned food and can opener.
- At least three gallons of water per person.
- Battery-powered radio, flashlight, and extra batteries.
- Special items for infant, elderly, or disabled family members.
- Keeping essentials, such as a flashlight and sturdy shoes, by your bedside.
Protect your Pets
More details on earthquake preparedness are avaialable from:
Preparedness for other disasters